26 November 2009

"And what rough beast, 
     its hour come round at last, 
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born."

   — W.B. Yeats

A friend recently told me that she was so involved with her work, time had completely fallen away, and she didn't even know what day it was. I laughingly replied that she ought to see if she could work out a deal with the moon to get some more epagomenal days.

When Nut was pregnant, her husband Geb refused to allow her to give birth on any day in the calendar. In her distress, she turned to Thoth, who devised a stratagem to assist her. He gambled against the moon, with the stake being a small fraction of light for each game won. Eventually, he'd managed to amass enough light for five more days. He gave the days that he'd won to Nut and in them she gave birth to Osiris, Isis, Nephthys, Seth, and Horus, five of the principal Egyptian gods.

My friend is an artist whose creativity and passion have the power to transform the lives of the people who it touches. She gives birth to a new world in her days unmarked by time. I just want to be around when the new deities come into being.

Excuse me. I'm out of time.

R.B.


No comments: